Do you want to know for sure if you are pregnant?
Afraid to rely on a home test for an accurate answer?
Is it too early to get an accurate pregnancy reading from a urine test — and you want an answer right away?
When should you consider taking a blood pregnancy test instead of a urine test for pregnancy?
There is much to consider when deciding whether a home pregnancy test or a pregnancy blood test is the best choice for you. Here are some tips to help you decide.
Two Types of Pregnancy Blood Tests
Pregnancy blood tests come in two types:
1) Qualitative hCG blood serum tests determine if a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin is present in your blood. HCG is a hormone produced by the body during pregnancy. A positive result means you are pregnant and a negative result means you are not pregnant.
2) Quantitative hCG blood serum tests also check to see if hCG is present in your blood, but can also detect even trace amounts of the hormone. Because it is more precise, this test helps to determine whether the pregnancy is normal and healthy.
How Soon Can I Trust a Pregnancy Blood Test to Give Me Accurate Results?
The big advantage of taking a pregnancy blood test instead of a home urine test is that both qualitative and quantitative blood tests can accurately tell you if you are pregnant just 6-8 days after ovulation (about a week before your period is due).
How Accurate Are Blood Pregnancy Tests Compared to Urine Tests?
Pregnancy blood tests are almost always accurate, with a 99% accuracy rate. That’s because the quantitative test can detect even the tiniest traces of the pregnancy hormone hCG.
By comparison, urine tests, or home tests, can be inaccurate as much as 6% of the time. The best time to take a urine pregnancy test is at least seven days after a missed period. If you don’t want to wait that long, a blood pregnancy test is the better choice for you.
Pregnancy blood tests:
- are more accurate than urine tests,
- can be taken just one week after ovulation,
- can take up to 48 hours to produce a result.
Pregnancy urine tests:
- can be done in the privacy of your own home,
- cost less than blood tests,
- show results in minutes,
- are only accurate when done at least seven days after a missed period,
- produce more false positive results than blood tests.
How Long Do You Have to Wait to Know For Sure if You Are Pregnant?
Once your blood has been sent to the lab for testing, it typically takes a couple of days to get your results. However, some labs may be able to get your results to you within 24 hours or less.
Did You Know? You Don’t Have to See a Doctor to Get a Pregnancy Blood Test
Pregnancy blood tests are among Personalabs’ top-selling tests. You can order your pregnancy blood test direct online through the Personalabs secure and HIPAA-compliant website without having to see a doctor first.
It’s easy, affordable, convenient and fast. Simply choose the test you want from the links below.
Once you have completed your pregnancy blood test purchase through one of the links above, you will be able to find and download your lab test order inside your secure and private Personalabs patient portal. You will also receive an email message containing a link to your lab test order as well.
Simply download your lab test order and bring it with you to a lab location near you (which you can easily find at https://www.personalabs.com/locations.aspx).
In most cases, your lab test results will be available to you inside your Personalabs patient portal within 48-72 hours after your test is completed.
For more information about Personalabs Pregnancy Blood tests – or to order direct over the phone — call us at (888) 438-5227.Share on Social Media